Author Topic: Paper trimmers - again!  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Iring

• Stampers
Paper trimmers - again!
« on: November 08, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
The never ending quest for the perfect paper trimmer ... ha!

This time I'm looking for portable, but still 12 inch.  I needed one for my class last weekend.  I have a cutterpillar pro at home (which I do like), but it seemed rather large to take to class.  Other people did have large guillotine cutters!  Including the person next to me.  At first I thought she was taking up valuable real estate ... but then I borrowed it continously!  ::) .

I took 3 trimmers with me, none of which met the need.  I hate my Fiskars Deluxe with the aluminum cut rail.  The blades are not sharp.  The only blade I had cut a jagged edge and because I don't really like it and they are expensive, I haven't bought new blades for it.  I had an old, old Fiskars but I only had a score blade for it ... and I had a cheap, small American Crafts trimmer that works great but wasn't 12 inch!

Has anyone tried the new Stampin Up trimmer/scorer?  I've seen videos and it looks good ...I think they are selling it for $25. 

What do you use for a 12inch portable trimmer?    I know some of you craft outside your homes.

Thanks!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Paper trimmers - again!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
I have the tonic guillotine trimmer.  It is 6 inches wide but it has a 12 inch extension.  And it is 12 inches on the cut blade. It isn’t tiny but it works for me at home and I travel with it. 

I don’t think it is a perfect trimmer, but I used to get so frustrated with other ones that didn’t cut square.  All my mats were slightly askew.  So it has improved my life to have the guillotine.  I still have my old fiskars one for if I need the sliding blade for a certain technique. 

Good luck. It is so hard to choose!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:58:02 AM »
sorry I don't travel with mine, I have the very old fiskars for 12 inch, I just bought the small Tim Holtz one but that isn't for 12 inch pieces, I bought it because you can easily cut bases for cards with it because all the measurements are right on the base. If I hear any talk about it in my other group I will let you know, some of those ladies buy stamp in up stuff

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
Thanks Connie!

One thing I like about the Fiskars/SU style trimmers are the numbers on the right side of the blade.  I just haven't found a Fiskars I like lately.  The wire one always frayed on me and the rail one eats blades in no time. 

I have the smaller TH/Tonic Guillotine too, and I do like it.  The last particular class I took needed a 12 in trimmer, so that's why I'm looking again.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
My Fiskars LED cutter's blade died while in the thick of making Christmas cards...I found blades at Walmart...they were made in made in China...sadly another USA company forced not to have USA parts.  BUT do know Fiskars has a lifetime guarantee but not on replaceable parts such as blades. Know they will  provide replace wires.   You can submit a request from their product website  They have told me to cut off the wire and it will be fine to use it in the meantime.  Be prepared to a long time for the replacement.

As for my rotary blade-I learned that one can take it out of the cutter, flip it over and reinsert so it cuts with the opposite side of the blade for longer use. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:47:32 PM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
I did not know that about Fiskars.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
Trimmer update

Yes, Fiskars does honor their warranty.  I think they replaced two wire trimmers for me before I gave up and chose the rail.  My Fiskars trimmer with the rail is in the donate box, but needs a blade.  The blades for that were awful, but before I used it long enough to realize it, my mom and sister had also bought that same trimmer.  And it was expensive! 

This year for Christmas we all got the new Stampin Up trimmer.  I got them for my mom and sister and my mom got me mine.  So far so good.  It scores and cuts and the scoring blade actually slides out of the way enough that you don't have to remove it when you want to cut.  I'm still getting used to it, the finger protector/blade slide piece (what is that called ?!!!) kind of locks in place, so it does hold the paper securely, but I also feel like it slows me down!  I have to pry it up when I want to turn the paper and trim another side.  I need to rewatch some youtube videos to see if anyone comments on that. (or talk to my SU demo) .   Oh, and it was only $25 .   If anyone is interested, this month is Sale-a-bration, spend $50 and chose something free from a small catalog.  Buy a trimmer and replacement blades ($12 for 3, I think) and you're almost there.  No, I'm not a SU rep, ha!

On my counter top I have a Cutterpillar Pro with a rotary blade that never needs replacing.  Yay!  Jan, that has a light on it too, but not LED.  It's big and takes up quite a bit of counter space but I love it.

Uh oh, so I just took stock of my trimmer inventory .... at least one more has to go in the donate box!  I have a small (9in?) American Crafts trimmer.  It's great, super portable ... but I don't know where to find replacement blades.  I'm hanging on to it for now.  Its so nice and small and has cutting and scoring blades.  I have two Tonic guillotines also on my counter.  Hmmm   They are 9in.  I bought the Tonic at a stamp store garage sale.  I later bought the Tim Holtz Tonic and couldn't decide which I liked better ... so there they sit!  I am terrible at purging!

Jan, I did not know that about reversing rotary blades.  Great idea!
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 07:05:05 PM »
wow you have a many trimmers, I have the two, my fiskars and the mini tonic