Author Topic: Just FYI---Cling stamp does not mean same size as the wooden counterpart  (Read 3448 times)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
This is just an FYI posting really---I finally got to buy the "Leafy Vines" stamp from Hero Arts during Joann's sale.  I bought it in cling after much debating on whether to get cling or wood block....well I never looked at the size!  It never occurred to me that the individual cling and wooden block counterpart were two different sizes...they looked the same and naively I thought it was the same image just on cling only.  I will look for now on! 

When I received the cling, I thought it was bigger than I thought it'd be, so I looked online this morning and Joann lists the cling at 5x6.5 and the wooden at 3.75x4.5....now IRL the image of the cling is closer to a 4x6.  Now I guess I'll be using parts of this image for A2 cards and the whole image for 4x6 and larger cards.   :-\

Just an FYI everyone....
~~Melissa :)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I have the wood mount Leafy Vines and it measures 5.75 by 4.5.  I consider it a background stamp that covered the entire A2 card.

I do use only parts of it frequently.

Adding mud to the water...

Honestly, I think that Joann.com might have the measurements for both incorrect.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:01:07 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
LOL, Melissa! Yeah. It pays to check sizes. I've ordered an occasional stamp without checking dimensions & it's usually smallerr than I wanted. That said, howerver, your experience is a new one on me.  I've purchased various images that are produced in more than one size because I liked the image & could see myself using it in both sizes. Some of these multiple size stamps were available as just rubber, cling & woodmount. In every case it didn't matter what version I got, the die was always the same size for all 3 options.

If I understand you, the dies are different sizes  in your case? Since we all know that stamps are cast in molds there must be 2 separate molds for this image. Here's what may have happened with JoAnn's... They had a stock of the larger in cling back & a stock of the smaller image in woodmount.

Far as using just parts of the larger image. Yeah. I've done that with some of my larger (4x6) stamps--not all of which are BGs. 

Thanks for the 'PSA/FYI', pal! Would love to see the image.  ;) #>
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Oh thank you for measuring your stamp Heidi---I thought about asking you to do so.    :smile:

And I do "feel better" that the wooden stamp sounds to actually be closer to the size I got.  I've seen the cards you and Daria (I think is another who has the stamp) make with the image and the size of the image that has been portrayed in y'alls cards I like; so that is reassuring that it is larger than Joann.com states.  I just love the image. 

Joann not having the dimensions correct is not comforting ....Next time I (or IF) buy another stamp from their online store, I will look at company brand sites first to double check sizes. 

Offline Looser

• Stampers
I think Heidi's correct with this case.

ITA with you Melissa. When unsure of sizes (especially with online stores) see if you can see the size(s) on a home site or other stores. Good advice!
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Well the really odd thing is that I am pretty sure there is a smaller size of this stamp available in a set, although I don't think they list the sizes of the stamps at Hero Arts or anywhere else.  It is so odd. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
I know you are going to love the stamp!
~~Heidi~~

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Here are photos   :smile: 

I noticed when taking the front photo--that on the packaging, Hero Arts lists "5x6" up in the right hand corner....which makes me have to RE-think how stamps are stated online....I have always taken for granted that when a site (or packaging in this case, b/c I'd think the same even after reading it while in my hands) that the image ITSELF is 5x6.

You see in the next photo of the stamp out of the package and of the back that it's not 6" but about 5.5"---not a big deal unless you need an exact size for a card front etc. 

So measurements stated are for the entire stamp (including foam and/or wood) and not for the image?   ???

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
oh I forgot to mention that I measured the bottom edge from foam edge to foam edge and it is right under 4.75" and the image itself measures right under 4.25"---so the bottom edge is not 5" as the packaging states... :-\

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Well, that does solve the mystery, it is the same size.

The obvious difference to me is that my wood mount stamp is trimmed out! 

I have had some trouble with cling background stamps in the past, and I have to say, I think I really prefer the woodmount now for one more reason.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:35:44 PM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Well the really odd thing is that I am pretty sure there is a smaller size of this stamp available in a set...

LOL, Heidi! Don't get me started on that! Yes. I've run across some stamps that come in 2 or more sizes & the smaller size is only available as part of a set. Frosts my hiney, but don't have any specific companies that do this.

Here are photos...

Thanks for the pix, Melissa. I like this image!

...So measurements stated are for the entire stamp (including foam and/or wood) and not for the image?

The measurement for a stamp image should be for the actual die & not include the mounting (if any). Anything else is (to my mind) deceptive.  That said, however, some companies do approximate or round off the size. So a 2.75 x 3.75 might be listed as a 3 x 5.  I don't have a big problem with that.

Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Thanks Daniel for what the measurements should include---it is something I will be more aware of when purchasing online...these measurements are not a big deal, but I do like to know what I'm buying, lol!

Heidi--I also wanted to point out that Hero Arts I guess has changed the way their cling works.  In your thread about clings not sticking, I shared that I have trouble with my Hero Arts ones b/c they have a vinyl backing that doesn't stick after awhile for me.....well this one does not have that vinyl backing---when you take it off the thin plastic insert it is packaged on, then all there is is a FOAM backing---no image/printing/vinyl---just foam.  The printed image you see in the photo is stuck to the plastic insert the cling is sold on.  I guess I will see if this is better....I hope!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Thanks for the info!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Just 'foam', Melissa? Makes me wonder how it clings! Foam as a cushion--with or without a cling layer is normal for me. I've even got rubberstamps that cling without a cushion--old SugarLoaf & Inque Boutique.
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Just 'foam', Melissa? Makes me wonder how it clings!

Lol!  That is true Daniel--didn't think about what I said....The foam does seem to have a "seal"--I say seal b/c it's not a thick enough layer to pull off; it seems to be apart of the material----the foam is a soft plastic-like feel--not foam like what is sold in fabric stores or with the distress ink applicators...this foam is more plastic/rubber like...