Author Topic: Ink17 - Tarnished -- Winner announced!  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Ink17 - Tarnished -- Winner announced!
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
I hope everyone has all the items for this challenge.  In the link I will provide they mentioned using Foil cardstock, but I have seen others where you just use kitchen foil applied to cardstock I believe so try either way depending on your supplies.

Sorry I haven't had time to try this one yet but the link should explain it all and you can google there are many tarnished tutorials out there.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/impressionsoftarnishedfoil/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=

Please use at least one stamp and one embossing folder, if you don't have an embossing folder you can omit that part but I really think that's what is cool about this technique.
Use Ink 17 Tarnished when you post in the gallery and please post here too letting me know you tried the challenge.
No mixing with other challenges.
I will send out a little package for the name I draw of those that participated.

Let me know if there is anything else I missed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:09:04 PM by Conniecrafter »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Ink17 - Tarnished
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
I have used kitchen foil and embossing, but not like the technique you linked to.  The results are amazing, I hope mine will turn out nearly so well!  Thanks for hosting, Connie!
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
Awesome! I have this technique pinned on my board but I have not tried it yet! So glad to try it now.

April :smile:

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
The examples in the video are gorgeous!  I'm anxious to try this technique.

I had the same thought that someone mentioned in the youtube comments, but wasn't answered ...
She inked the whole foil piece with Stazon, then stamped the tree with Versamark, sprinkled with embossing powder and heated.  She mentioned the heating would dry the Stazon so it wouldn't mar your embossing folder ... but if the Stazon wasn't dry, wouldn't embossing powder stick all over it? 

It will be interesting to see what happens.  I understand you're wiping Versamark over the foil several times anyway, so precise heat embossing isn't really important, but it seems you wouldn't want it everywhere either.
Cindi

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
Ok I tried it, didn't quite get the results I had in my head.  First of all I stamped many sunflowers in the background with a very light gold embossing powder hoping it would stand out but maybe there was too much detail in my stamp and then in my folder.  Trying to add anything else to it just didn't look good so I cut my piece in half and now I will have two cards I can use it on.

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3598#top_display_media

Cindi, I ran the stazon over my foil and then went through my stamps to find my sunflower stamp I wanted to use, by the time I came back and did all my background stamping and added my embossing powder it the stazon was all dry.  When I try this technique again I may try an embossing folder that isn't so busy.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience Connie.  Now that you mention it, I can see a sunflower peeking through the top section of your tarnished piece.  It looks nice in this layout and with the sunflower focal piece.
Cindi

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:52:43 AM »
Thanks Connie for sharing this really great challenge!  I have loved working with a wide range of metal products from various weights of real metal sheeting in the past...as well as aluminum foil techniques and a few thing in between like a sliver foil tape and thin sheets of papers for wrapping candy.  It is going to take me while to experiment with materials for this challenge!

Dina Kowal posted the most recent card in the gallery for this challenge.  On her blog she said that she felt the timber brown Stazon was a better color than the black for her piece. I do like how the black works in the bark splits on the birch trees (reminds me of Alaska)  but I am thinking of trying the brown for general swiping. I have never bought the new colors of Stazon so perhaps the formula changed but all their regular dark colors always were fast drying inks for me...more like seconds not minutes.

I am also thinking that a Versa Mark embossing pen may be helpful for adding embossing powder to some of the tightly dry embossed areas. 

I think it is going take me some time to search for all the supplies I want to have at my fingertips...thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:00:28 AM by Far North »

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
That is a great idea using the versamark pen to add the colors just where you want them :)  I would think brown would be a good color to swipe with also :)

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/index.php?cat=26

Here is one I did with silver tape.
Fun!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
Sheila your cards look terrific, but I see you had the same results that the background stamping didn't stand out as much, so I think if I do this technique again, I will probably skip that step.
Thanks for playing!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
I made a few attempts at this. First I think my embossing folder was not the right one to use. My delicate butterflies did not show up well either. I also tried using the versa mark pen and actually rubbing over with the ink pad did better for me. This final background turned out much better. I used a solid flower and used copper ep on it and it showed up much better. I used metallic gold and blue glitter eps on my raised areas. The gold got kind of lost in the end, but I like the results I got on my piece.

April

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=3612#top_display_media

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
I think it turned out so cool and so perfect with your image!

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
Even though this is 1 of 2 INK challenges I'm unable to do, I'm thoroughly enjoying all the cards.
Daniel

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
I am sorry you can't do this one Daniel, what are you missing?