Author Topic: Reverse Stamping Challenge--using plastic-coated freezer paper  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
For this challenge, you are asked to use both the regular & reversed version of at least one stamp on a project of your choice.

The 'kicker' for this challenge is that you are asked to us PCFP (plastic-coated freezer paper) as your 'reversing' material.

I am working on some examples & hope to share them in the near future, but to get things started I can share some tips about ways I have been doing this.

StazOn works pretty well. I ink the image & stamp on the plastic face of the paper. To transfer it, I use 2 methods:
1.Place the ink side on my project material & rub the paper to transfer the ink.
2. Do the same as above, but press with hot dry iron to transfer the ink.

I am now trying the same techniques with DIs & will see how that works.

I don't have any pigment inks--so those who do may let us know how they work.

One bit of gentle warning... Don't expect to have 'perfect' reverses with this--especially if you use very detailed images. So 'don't sweat the small stuff' & just play. OK? ;)

Just like anyone who takes the challenge, I'll be learning right along with y'all--I promise. :knuppel2: ;D

I'll do my best to check in much as I can, but don't wait for answers--just start playing. O0
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: Reverse Stamping Challenge--using plastic-coated freezer paper
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
I will put this paper on my grocery list.  I need cinnamon and half n half anyhow.

The one thought I had is that you might want to do your reversed image first, then if you need to "distress" your regular image to get it to match a little better, you might be able to do that by removing a touch of the ink on the stamp before stamping it.

Does that make sense? 

Thanks for hosting, Daniel!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:07:46 AM by howdyheidi »
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:38:19 AM »
WTG, Heidi! Yes! Doing the 'reverse' first is a smart move for the reasons you mention. I've often found that true when using a 'real' reversing stamp. And it lets me decide which generation of a non-reversed image I want to use when using both a reversed & regular image in the same project.

I've finished some 'examples' & will try to get them out in today's mail.
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »
This sounds neat. I think I have some freezer paper with the plastic side. I need to look. Thanks for the challenge!

Stampwilly

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »
Here is my entry. I did not have freezer paper as I thought so I decided to use wax paper and it worked very well. If this does not count for this challenge that is fine with me. I liked using the wax paper since I could see clearly where to stamp. I do not know how transparent the freezer paper is. I used Memento black ink. For the second image, I did what Heidi suggested and stamped off quickly on another piece of paper before stamping my image on the card stock so that my image would not be too much darker than the reversed one. After seeing how easy this is to do, I want to do this some more! ;D 

Thanks for a fun challenge!

Stampwilly

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1881#top_display_media -- images

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pid=1882#top_display_media -- card

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Stampwilly, your project turned out so well!  I like your stamp choice so much. I am glad my suggestion helped you. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:20 AM »
Looks great, Willy! The waxpaper reverse worked well. PCFP is not as transparent as the wax paper. TFS!
Daniel

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »
April or any other Inkster... Refresh my memory please. What type of ink is Momento--dye, pigment, etc. ?

I tried April's wax paper reverse with StazOn  & DI ink. Worked ok. I used the rub-off method & want to try it with the iron too.

I have some clear inks for possible use with EPs & want to see how that works with PCFP, as well.

Although it doesn't deal with making reversed stamped images as such, I made some diecuts with the freezer paper & inked them on the plastic face. I let them dry & transferred them to paper with a hot iron. Results weren't bad.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Memento is dye ink.   
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
Thanx, Heidi! :smile:
Daniel

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
Here are links to Daniel's samples :

Fish

Turtle

Rooster

Clown

Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
Today I took on the reverse stamping challenge using PCFP.  In my case it didn't matter how translucent it was (freezer paper vs wax paper) because I taped my freezer paper to the counter top because it wanted to stay in a roll.  Instead of pressing stamped freezer paper to cardstock, I left the stamped freezer paper face up on the counter and pressed my cardstock down on top and rubbed to get the image to transfer.  Worked just fine, probably because I didn't need precise placement.  Like Stampwilly, I stamped off once before stamping my original image next to the reversed.

I decided to use a stamp that has a sentiment built in ... which would not have worked in reverse, so I carefully cut the sentiment out with a craft knife.
You can view my surgery skills here  ;)

Here's a pic of the reverse image and the original

And the finished card.

Thanks for the challenge Daniel!  I need to remember this next Easter as I have an Easter bunny stamp that I like to reverse and I remember a few yrs back I had a heck of a time getting a good reverse image.

Cindi

Offline CarefreeSadie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:51 PM »
Well, I had to try this today since I had some time in the craft room.  I should have used regular watercolors instead of Inktense so it would have been softer.  I used wax paper with black archival ink.  But here it is.

Thank you for looking.
You know it's been a good day when I haven't released the flying monkeys.......

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
Hey Daniel, I was looking at images last night for this challenge, and I wondered if there was an end date.  I was hoping to have a few more days and I think I probably do!  Thanks!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
I don't have an end date for this challenge, Heidi. Feel free to play.
Daniel