Author Topic: Re: Warm-up AIR16 Vintage WC-*Winner*  (Read 9605 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up challenge AIR16 Vintage WC-OPEN
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Sorry I continue with Internet connection problems and can't post as much as much as usual.

Wow all the gallery posts are looking great...terrific results no matter how you adapt the technique. 

I agree DI products are one of the few water based inks that are designed not to wick into base colors...so experiment with others.

I found this to be a really loose and relaxing technique.

Happy playtime!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
I just posted a posted a card sample for this challenge[/url].  I found it to be a fun and relaxing technique.  This Warm-up challenge is open to Monday at midnight. 
Thanks for stopping in!...Jan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:08:21 AM by Far North »

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
This looks like such a cool technique! But I just can't get it to work the way I want it, LOL. I am on try number 374.... not really... but I can't get the look I wanT.

I am not giving up yet!

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
Kathy if you can describe what you are having issues with perhaps someone will have a tip that will help.

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Hmm.. well 1. I think I chose the wrong stamps the two times I tried it. 2. I tried spritzing it as I liked her reeds that she spritzed. The first one, I spritzed the stamp before stamping and just got a big blob. The second.... and more, I stamped, then spritzed.  I get a big puddle of mess no matter how tiny I tried to spritz.

I am going to try again with a different stamp/stamps and see what happens! I think I need to put the mister away and try with a paintbrush hehehe. Maybe I am too heavy handed with my mister!

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
Kathy, I did not try the mini mister, I used the waterbrush, and just traced over every stamped line.  It just worked, I couldn't believe it!  So maybe just try the brush.  :0)
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
Well I finally got one I liked! The process is in the posted picture.

Lighthouse Vintage

I figured I would post a pic of my fails so y'all could see what I meant. The spritzer technique did not work for me!
Fails

I really like the look of this so I may keep trying with different stamps and such.

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:33 PM »
I managed to get in some crafty time yesterday and made 4 cards for this challenge.  I had a lot of fun with this technique and I did a bit of experimenting.  And I'm in the group that doesn't have an Elegant Writer and I don't think I have any water based markers. 

For the first card, I started by inking the watercolor paper before stamping.  Instead of using watercolor pencils, I used my koi watercolors.
Flower Trio

For the second card, I didn't ink the paper first and then I didn't like how white it was.  So I ended up inking it after stamping, watercoloring, and adding the script stamp.  But it washed out script stamping and I had to redo that.

Flower

For the third card, I wanted to try something different.  I picked a collage stamp.  This sucker took 3 tries to get right.  The first time, I stamped it without using my Misti and realized afterwards that I was going to want to restamp it to bring back some of the detail after watercoloring.  The second time, I didn't use any adhesive to hold it in place on the Misti and when I started watercoloring, it shifted.  So when I restamped, it wasn't in the right spot.  Third time was the charm.

Postage Stamp

For the last card, I wanted to move away from the browns.  So I inked the paper with DI in Spun Sugar and Shabby Shutters, and I stamped with DI in Shabby Shutters and Hickory Smoke. 

Dress Maker

Thanks for a great challenge.  I really had fun playing with this. 

Sarah

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
Here are more details of what I did on my gallery sample:

I worked on the smooth side of Strathmore WC paper since I want to retain some of the crispness of stamping.

I used a green, purple-blue and brown tombow markers on mine. They all blending easily with a brush...but do not provide extra colors like the black Elegant Writer. I only used the elegant markers in areas where I could pull the color to like a dime-sized space as in a large center of a flower.  I would wet with brush , spread and blot and repeat...sometime more twice. Katlyn said only the black EW breaks to other colors. My black Tombow gives a black- blue wash...but no pink. 

I used permanent fine line micron pens where I did not want small black lines or dots to blend.  For me it took consider time deciding how much to blend various areas and I finally decided to have a few close-up areas with stronger colored areas.  I often reached out for my scrap paper when I wanted to try-out different approaches with the color. 

Thanks everyone for playing!...In the future I hope to see even more vintage items in gallery.

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
I posted a Vintage Watercolor Thank You card just in time!

I had fun playing with this technique.  I basically followed the Splitcoast tutorial.  I lost control of my waterbrush a few times, ha!  There are areas where I had too much water and lost some stamped details, but overall I'm happy with it.  I made 3 sentiment tags trying to get one I liked! 

Thank you, Jan, for this fun challenge!

Now I will go back and catch up reading through the previous posts and visit the gallery.  Phew!
Cindi

Offline djc

• Stampers
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 10:52:44 PM »
I can't believe it!  I finished a card.  It's not the best by far; I need to practice a lot.  I almost threw this image away.  I did a terrible job of coloring it.  Then I thought about Karlyn Holman's video and how she colored in the background with the Elegant Writer watercoloring.  I decided t give it a try since I was going to throw the darn thing in the garbage anyway.  What's the harm in practicing?  I thought that the image looked better with the background.  Then I decided to add some green and brown to the leaves and branches.  Maybe I should have left well enough alone.  The leaves that had too much black on the edges looked better (less obvious) before I added the green.  Sigh.  Anyway, I decided to finish a card and post it.  At least you can see that I've begun to learn this technique.  This card is absolutely nothing like what I was aiming for, but it still looks vintage. 

OK.  That's it with the warnings and excuses.  Here's the card.

Jan, thank you for this challenge.  As I mentioned before, I'd already seen and loved the videos you linked.  Now I've watched them a few times, and I need to watch them again.  It's that same old problem I always have--a heavy hand.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should add some darker green to those leaves so the black would blend in???

Daria

ETA:
I just added Forest Green Distress Ink (with water) to the leaves.  I think that helped.  Here's Take 2.

djc
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:38:06 PM by djc »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
Wow, everyone just did such a great job, with fun variations, for this challenge! I really enjoyed looking at them all in the gallery this morning!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up AIR16 Vintage WC-*Winner*
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
WoW, I am amazed once again by the talent of Artsy Inkers :smitten: Such beautiful work fills the gallery for the beginning of AIR16.  I am very happy to close this challenge with a random drawing and not have to make a selection myself. So I did the drawing and winner is.....

#>

:angel:

:smitten:

:D  Congratulations..................SWlady/Kathy
Thanks all for playing! 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:54:40 AM by Far North »

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
Yay, congrats Kathy!
~~Heidi~~

Offline SWLady

• Stampers
Re: Warm-up AIR16 Vintage WC-*Winner*
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
Yay me! hehehe.

Thanks Jan!

I agree, all the posts are awesome. I haven't commented on all of them yet but I will!