Author Topic: Adhering Acetate sheets  (Read 1478 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Adhering Acetate sheets
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
I made a fun background yesterday with alcohol inks on acetate sheet.

I want to make it into a simple card, showcasing pretty much the whole background.  I don't have much (any) experience adhering the acetate and wonder what kind of adhesive I should use that won't be visible.  Is it like vellum where you pretty much need to cover up the places where you added the adhesive?

Thanks in advance for your help!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: Adhering Acetate sheets
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »
Sounds like a job for narrow (1/8") Scor or other doubleface tape Heidi. Depending on how much clear area you have on the acetate, it is a bit like vellum in that the adhesive may 'show'. A narrow edge of adhesive is unlikely to be very noticeable.

If you decide to try using a liquid adhesive? That's always been a PITA for me. Because lots of glues just don't 'bond' to plastic. I've had times when the acetate seems well stuck to the under paper/cs--only to have it pop off later. HTH. :smile:
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
Great to hear you tried the acetate!  I use Therm O Web's Vellum Adhesive Runner.  It says invisible bond and it pretty much is--one really has to look hard to see find it.  I roll on a little in each corner of the cardstock then lay the acetate on top.

...Jan
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:47:24 PM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
Thanks for this thread Heidi--I have wondered this and I know I need to know this since I want to do more with acetate. 

I have "ribbon glue" and have always wondered what that meant---looked the glue up online once and the company says it's glue to use with ribbon so you do not see the glue.....I've never paid attention to see if it works, but I'm interested to see if it works with acetate too.
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
Heidi's question actually reminds me of what I (& lots of my designer peers) told crafters.

Making any project that doesn't show the 'works' is a worthy goal. If it it becomes the only goal, it can become a stumbling block for me.

It's up to the crafter to figure out how they want to make stuff less visible.  ;)
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the suggestions! 

I might consider using a border stamp or something and then just hiding the adhesive behind that. 

I will let you know what I try and if it works!
~~Heidi~~