Author Topic: Products that can create a resist  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Products that can create a resist
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
The current ATC challenge is focused on a creating a heat embossed resist.  But there are many other products that can create a resist. ln a recent video Shari Carroll demonstrates products that can be used as a resist including: 
    VersaMark ink
    Clear Embossing
    Acrylic Paint
    Masking Fluid
    Glossy Accents
    Stickles or Glitter glue
    Glaze
    Gesso
    Gloss Gel Medium
    Texture Paste

Can you think of other products that can be added to the list?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:13:41 AM by Far North »

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
Re: Products that can create a resist
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
This is great to know.  Some of these products I do not think about using as a resist --- like the glossy accent for example. and others I have not had experience with so it is great to know what other things they can do --for example the texture paste. 

TY Jan for making this list!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
Two materials I use as resists:

Wax--crayons, candles, etc.

Rubber cement

Melt adhesive (hot glue)

In all of the above, it depends upon what material I am using as a base to determine if the resist is removable or permanent to the item. (written) examples as they are requested.  #>

Good topic, Jan.
Daniel

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
Thanks Daniel for your additions. Recently you mentioned Vaseline here at AI is that a resist?...sorry I can't find it in a search but worse I can't recall which discussion.

PVA glue will also work as a resist as well as Judikins microglaze and Goosebumps-a texture spray with shimmer by Tsukineko/Imagine Crafts.

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Thanks Daniel for your additions. Recently you mentioned Vaseline here at AI is that a resist?...sorry I can't find it in a search but worse I can't recall which discussion.

Thanx, Jan. I mostly use vaseline (petroleum jelly) to make faux vellum & to seal those stamping masks that I make iwith plain paper.

I don't know that I've ever deliberately used it as a 'resist' for stamping, but suspect it might work for waterbased inks. I left my vaseline behind, so if anyone tries it--let us know. :smile:
Daniel

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
That "faux vellum" sounds so interesting Daniel!! as well as the vaseline sealing the stamping masks...I have a small tub of Vaseline that I can use to try these ideas.  Daniel I am assuming that the vaseline keeps the ink off the masks??   ???  Do I just rub the vaseline over the mask and wipe off? simple as that? 
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
That "faux vellum" sounds so interesting Daniel!! as well as the vaseline sealing the stamping masks...I have a small tub of Vaseline that I can use to try these ideas.  Daniel I am assuming that the vaseline keeps the ink off the masks??   ???  Do I just rub the vaseline over the mask and wipe off? simple as that?

Yes, Melissa, pretty much that's it. I like to wipe the vaseline on both faces of the paper & hit it with a bit of heat from my heat gun. That melts the jelly into the paper. Then just wipe off any remaining vaseline. How translucent the paper becomes depends greatly on the paper used. I find uncoated papers will really absorb the vaseline & become very 'see thru'. Hope you'll share your results with us, pal.
Daniel