Author Topic: Card Donation opportunity - by August 1st  (Read 2951 times)

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Card Donation opportunity - by August 1st
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
Hello everyone.  A blogging friend asked me to be a part of a card drive for a care package for her local Domestic Violence center.  She is looking to make 30 care packages with a hand made encouragement card in each one.  You can mail a card and/or sponsor a bag by sending monetary donations. 

I blogged about this today here:
http://mylittlestampingblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/card-drive-one-layer-distress-oxide.html

And here is a link to Carole's blog post with all the details:
https://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/the-safelight-project/comment-page-1/#comment-14320

As an incentive, Carole has been able to get a very nice prize to one, randomly selected, lucky person who donates.  If you are interested and able, I hope you will look into participating in this drive.
~~Heidi~~

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: Card Donation opportunity - by August 1st
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
I will certainly help!

April :smile:

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »
Thanks, April!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
What a kind and thoughtful project!  I will try ...

A small church group I belong to just contributed to our local women's recovery shelter.  They give each woman who enters a new set of towels all in one color.  They like different colors so they can sort the laundry, Sue has pink, Betty has blue, etc..  We each picked a color and gave a set of 2 hand towels, 2 washcloths and 2 bath towels and a soap dispenser.   Encouragement cards would be a nice way to follow up on this project. 

I will try hard to mail a card for your drive.  Maybe I'll get some made for the local shelter too!
Cindi

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
Heidi, I have a card to donate.  I used Connie's Partial Stamping technique.  I knew as soon as I saw her challenge that it would make a great layout and technique for encouragement cards. 

I will wait till the end of the week to see if I get any more made before I mail it to your blog buddy.

Wishing you joy

(the lavender isn't quite as dull looking as in the photo, I took the picture at night.)
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »
Your card is beautiful, as is the sentiment.  Thanks for donating!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »
Heidi, I have one more to donate..  Yesterday I stamped the card base before adhering the card front and messed up the orientation, ha!  So this one stands upright.  I'll get them in the mail this week.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »
It always good to get on a roll when cardmaking.  Another terrific card! I need to get mine in the mail myself!
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
I'm getting caught up around here after the "fest".

Mailing my donation today.  I added one more card and a donation through Paypal.

Thanks for sharing this opportunity.  It came at a great time, as it gave me another purpose to make cards during the Fest!
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
I'm getting caught up around here after the "fest".

Mailing my donation today.  I added one more card and a donation through Paypal.

Thanks for sharing this opportunity.  It came at a great time, as it gave me another purpose to make cards during the Fest!

Great!  Thank you!  I only sent the one card. :)
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:27:41 PM »
I'm not really complaining, because it wasn't THAT much money ... but I'm feeling somewhat ripped off by the Post Office!  I put all three A2 cards and their envelopes in one A5 (? I think?), maybe A7? envelope.  It was a nice heavy envelope I had left from wedding invites.

The post office clerk felt it, tried to bend it and declared it a "parcel" and charged me $2.60-ish for postage.  I said I didn't think it was that thick, could he try putting it through the slot ... and he said it wasn't the thickness, it was because it was stiff and didn't bend.  He thought it was unmachinable and the machines would tear it up.  Ugh!  How much do you want to bet it gets put through a machine anyway?  I don't think he stamped unmachinable on it.  He just slapped the postage on it.  I could have mailed each one separately for less than $1.50.

Oh well, that's my rant for the day.  It didn't break the bank but I was a little peeved that it got treated as a package when it wasn't even very thick.  I feel like the PO is so subjective now.  Probably could have taken it to a different clerk on another day and just paid a bit extra because it might have been a little heavy.

I'm glad Carole's drive has been so successful.  I checked her website and she's had more than enough donations to deliver her first round of goody bags to the women's shelter.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:40 AM »
Cindi, that is a tricky amount of cards to send.  I send card samples in for my DT and I always try to send at least 6 at a time because I know they are going to want to send it as a parcel and I want to Make sure it is worth it.  I have heard that it depends from post office to post office.

Yes, I saw it too, it does look like drive was successful and that she will have extras for the shelter for when new women arrive.
~~Heidi~~

Offline Iring

• Stampers
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
Heidi,
This is my lucky week!  I won the Stampin Up prize for the Safelight Project on Carole's website.  She notified me by email today.
Thank you for sharing this donation opportunity here on Artsy Inkers.
Cindi

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
Heidi,
This is my lucky week!  I won the Stampin Up prize for the Safelight Project on Carole's website.  She notified me by email today.
Thank you for sharing this donation opportunity here on Artsy Inkers.

I'm so happy for you!  It looked like a really great prize!!!!
~~Heidi~~