Author Topic: Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?  (Read 112 times)

Offline Far North

• Stampers
Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?
« on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
At first I thought I could use alcohol mixatives instead of buying more alcohol inks...but I soon learned they are not the same... mixatives have a opaque base. 

The Alcohol Pearls are mostly strong bright colors (sets 1-3). If they are blown with a straw sometimes this creates a wet edge of ink were the mica settles.....an interesting effect.  They must be used on a non-porous substrate such as yupo but not glossy cardstock. Storing them on their sides certainly make them faster to shake.

It is definitely taking me a while to connect with the names of the colors. 

Would love to know what others are learning alcohol pearls.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
Re: Alcohol Pearls-What do ya' think?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »
I have 3 jars of it and still haven't used them, i am really need to get them out and give them a try.  I love those backgrounds that I have seen where they add some foil over the backgrounds when they are almost dry and just the wet parts pick up the foil, wow that is stunning, I don't have any foil, well that I can find but I was wondering if my mega flakes would work.

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
I donít have any yet. I kept thinking they would show up in a local craft store, but I havenít seen them yet. I was thinking of getting just one set in colors I donít already have. 
~~Heidi~~

Offline Far North

• Stampers
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Heidi, Ranger sure is not keeping up with orders.  It takes a lot of looking and then purchasing promptly. I am having the same issue with Wendy Veechi's new Blendable Dye inks.

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Heidi, I am thinking I found mine at Hobby Lobby but not positive

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
I really wanted to play with them.  But I have tried to get them and I am all over it now.
I am on to other things.  I canít tell you how many times that has happened with Tim Holtz products!
There are just so many options out there, I refuse to go crazy when I canít find a product!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Yankee

• Stampers
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Guess what, my Hobby Lobby finally got the alcohol pearls in stock.  I only got one pkg, because I couldnít remember what to do with them.   I will go to you tube!
Born on the fourth of July

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:15:21 PM »
Yah! have fun!

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
I have 6 colors of the Pearls. I found that doing the smoosh technique with them does much better than any other way, although I have not tried blowing through straws. They do not fan out like the regular alcohol inks even when applying more blending solution or 91% alcohol. I put regular alcohol inks on my craft mat along with a color or two of the Pearls and smooshed the glossy card stock through it. I liked the results with that method. I got my pearls at Hobby Lobby when they had Tim Holtz stuff 40% off.

April

Offline Conniecrafter

• Stampers
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
I posted a couple cards in the gallery using AI background and then using lift ink to add to the second card, I used a few pearl inks and a regular alcohol ink.