Author Topic: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
Re: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
It is sure fun to try new things and learn from others that is for sure!

Amen, Connie!

OK! Courtesy of my pal, Heidi  :smitten:, I can share my entry to this fun challenge. I ended up making powdered chalk to color the 6 eggs in my Easter Sundae.

FYI! I tried using white chalk on the teacup stamp, but on the brown card it just turned into dark lines so I used white EP instead.  And I'm a bit sorry I did the spoons on the brown stock. They're ok, but the silver EP doesn't pop on the brown as much as I'd like.

Off to work on my other entries for this great challenge.
Daniel

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »
Everyone has gotten such great results on this! I have to say that I think the chalks have gotten a bad wrap lately in the stamping world. I found them pretty easy to use and they blend so easily and they are pretty cheap!   I definitely will be using them for this technique more often!

** or is it bad rap?
~~Heidi~~

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
I suspect it's 'rap', Heidi.

But, that said, I rarely follow what's being said about products & trends these days.

When I was still getting the craft trade mags, I did take a look at what the Industry was saying, but it's never been my strong suit to go with any given trend--product, style, color, etc. And I've found that the majority of members on sites like AI aren't just blind followers anymore than the crafters I met when I did stints as in craft stores.

Don't mistake me. I don't mind hearing that 'coral' is the flavor of the month/year or that chalk is passe, but I'm not going to rush out & buy coral  'cause it's 'hot' or ditch chalk 'cause it's not.  Far as 'chalk'? I say we all contact Perry Mason & offer to appear as character wittnesses on its behalf! :laughhard:

April's Oldies remind us that both products & techniques never completely end. They may have stints of popularity & it may become more difficult to find specific products, but if a crafter is 'into' them they will continue to work with them--even make their own if need be,

Grateful as I am that we have a Craft Industry, I'm durned if I will allow it to completely determine what I do or what I use to do it.  Crafters existed before the Craft Industry & I'm glad we're a good bunch of 'crafters'.

Can't wait to see what April's April OLDIES will be--technique &/or product.  ::) #>
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Daniel, your card is wonderful. The chalks worked so well when powdered! Thanks for doing the challenge.

Heidi, I have found stamping goes along in phases. Chalks used to be a big thing in stamping, but now other fads are in. That is why I am doing OLDIES so that we don't forget and the OLDIES seem new again. Maybe chalks will come back in "style".  ;D

Stampwilly
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:35:19 PM by stampwilly »

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
Nicely said, April--especially the part about 'fads' & 'crazes'. Back when crafting was becoming an Industry, there were tons of specialty magazines, craft shows & tons of (small) craft supply stores. As crafters, many of us flitted from craft to craft. We were constantly wanting to see what the next 'big' craft idea was & give it go. Some crafts had long runs--ditto some products.

I finished up 2 more pieces for this month's Oldies. Have to get them mailed. It was fun being able to combine these particular ones with some other 'oldies' I ran across.

Just like TV reruns...If you didn't see it the first time? It's brand NEW to you. And if you have seen it? Maybe you catch smething you didn't notice the first time. Same for craft techniques & materials. ;)
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
I am glad you did some more projects with this technique, Daniel. I have enjoyed all the entries and hope to see some more soon.

Stampwilly

Offline lovepug2

• Stampers
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
I finally got a chance to upload my cards!
I have to say, I hadn't used my chalks much but after this challenge I will for sure be using them more now.
I would like some that don't have a shimmery finish too so I might try and do Daniels trick! Your card was fantastic  O0

Thanks Stampwilly for bringing another fun technique back to us. IT seems like there are so many techniques and products that are coming up it can be hard to keep track. That's a good thing for this industry though!

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1353

http://www.duhnproductions.com/Pics/displayimage.php?pid=1354- lol, this one is really an oldie! I used some really old PP and a brad on this card!
LeighAnn

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
Thanks for doing the challenge, LeighAnn. I have that stamp and I am glad to see how it turned out with the chalks!

Stampwilly

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »
I will post mine tomorrow---but LeighAnn, how did you get your images to stay white?  I think it looks so nice!  Everyone will see how my chalks colored my Versamark image with color....maybe I need to start to pounce the color on from outside of the image towards it instead of starting directly on the image and going outwards?
~~Melissa :)

Offline yellowcherrios

• Stampers
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 09:41:29 AM »
Here is my card I made--though I left the spot under the ribbon open so to put the sentiment I use this card for later: sunflower card

See how my image is colored?  I want to try this again, but instead start from outside the image and color around it picking up the versamark just a little to see if it does like LeighAnn's and has more of white appearance for the image...

Thank you April for another fun challenge!
~~Melissa :)

Offline Looser

• Stampers
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
Miz Heidi photo'd my latest entries & sent them to me by email. May she & her new fridge enjoy a long life! :smitten:

Nice thing about being able to access gallery pieces by thread posts is that we often get to read the how-tos in a particular order. I mention that because I wrote the most about this on my First Upload.  Being a very lazy person, I didn't rewrite all the how-tos on my Second Upload.

What's funny is that my 2nd upload was actually my first try @ doing this chalk technique that April's challange  noodged me to explore.  O0
Daniel

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Great projects again, Daniel!

Stampwilly

Offline Craft Nerd

• Stampers
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
I actually managed to get a project finished this month.

Easter Eggs

Thanks for a great challenge and a cool new technique for me to use. I had fun with it.

Now I need to go check out everyone else's projects.
Sarah

Offline stampwilly

• Stampers
Re: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
Hi Everyone! It is time to announce the winner for this month. All the projects were super. Thanks so much for participating. I will have the new Oldies challenge up soon.

Now for the winner -----    LeighAnn!   Congrats! :laughhard:

LeighAnn --- please pm me your address so that I can get my RAK to you soon.

Stampwilly

Offline howdyheidi

• Stampers
Re: OLDIES CHALLENGE -- MARCH -- WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Congrats LeighAnn!
~~Heidi~~